View Single Post

Garage
Not to ruin the love fest on 930's, but I have had mine for 5 years and had to spend quite a bit of money on mine. Owning a 930 is like marrying a women, you really don't knonw what you are going to get until you have live with them for a few years.
I can't do too much of my own maintenance and am not a real gear-head, although I have made the commitment this year to learn a lot more. My had a top end re-build 6 months before I bought it and the mechanic who did the work stated it was a very solid car. Here are my costs so far:
New Oil lines after about a year as well as the twin plug distro shorting: 3K
Year two: new front shocks, blown turbo: 2K
Year three: Re-surface wheels plus fabspeed intake 1K
Year 4: engine chain seals gone bad + pop-off valve and several other small items need replacing: 4K
Year 5: rust in window corners forced decision early on restoration paint job, new dash and front windshield (most of these need replacing as they get chipped really bad except on really low mileage cars), plus new tires: 10K

Total $20K

As you see you will soon find your self spending quite a bit more than you imagined, especially if you can't do it yourself. Mine might be a high example but don't fool yourself into thinking a 23 year old car may not develop a number of issues over time. On the flip side I have enjoyed every minute of driving the car other than the bills. It is a monster and have enjoyed my old gal blowing the doors off of new Saleen Mustangs as well as plenty of others.
It is one of the most fun cars to drive, although I wouldn't mind having a turbo other than my K27-7200 that just surges so hard and has a broader power band.
I am not trying to talk you out of it, but want to make sure you know what you can be in for.
87 930 Super Cup (964) Cams , Andial K27 7200 Turbo, Andial Intercooler, Twin Plug, Andial Fuel Enrichment System, Carillo Rods, Mahle Pistons, Raceware head studs, Adjustable Turbo, Ruf Wheels, plus much more...
Old 02-02-2010, 07:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)