View Single Post

Send a message via Skype™ to djdawson2
Quote:
Originally Posted by 930gt-40r View Post
It is a gt3076- on a stock style application, it seems to be a damn good fit for our cars from the looks of the compressor map. However, I do not think it is ball bearing due to the size of the oil pressure fitting. Ball bearing turbos need -4 an fittings and smaller, that one appears to be a -6 pressure line which indicates that it is a non ball bearing.
I have to (respectfully) disagree. That oil return line is *small*... looks like -8. you would never use that small of a return line on a journal bearing turbo. Further, I am not aware of Garrett ever producing a 3076 with a journal bearing... closest thing was a 50 trim T03/T04E hybrid.

As far as sizing... yeah, the 30R (3076) is a nice fit... good for moving an efficient 50 lbs/minute. I use that turbo in one of my 2.2 liter Audis, and it puts out 442whp on an all wheel drive dyno. However, I think the turbine (hot side) options are not too good for a 3.3 liter engine. The largest hot housing is a 1.06 A/R... and the turbine wheel is only 60mm. That is where the GT35R comes into play... larger housing and a 68mm turbine wheel.

To me, if you didn't want to try and run a ball bearing turbo without water cooling, another option might be the GT37 journal bearing turbo. Moves a good amount of air, and has a large enough turbine section.
Old 02-02-2010, 08:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)