View Single Post
beancounter

I am going to echo the comments of stephen930. At a minimum you are looking at a 21 year old car (mine is over 30 yrs old). It will take money to keep the car on the road and running properly. If you keep it parked in your garage and never drive it, it will be cheap to maintain, otherwise in the long run it will cost some $$. More than a 3.2 of similar vintage? Perhaps.

IMHO, anyone who buys an old 930 (or 911 for that matter) should go into the purchase with a decent chunk of change in reserve and the expectation that you will need it, regardless of what the PPI says. IF you get lucky and the car doesn't need this $$, you are ahead...then you maybe put the $$ in the stock market, or buy lottery tickets If you fail to plan for major services that might be required (top-end or full engine rebuild, transmission rebuild), it can easily ruin your ownership experience.

I am just over two years into ownership. I bought a good driver '79 in original condition that I don't think anyone would describe as being a rat:

I am in the process of doing a full engine rebuild. It was required, although the car was running quite well. I've replaced and upgraded all the bolt-on stuff too (turbo, exhaust, intercooler, etc.) With the engine rebuild and the other upgrades, I have spent as much (or more, who wants to do the math?) as the purchase price of the car. It was easy, really. Not everything I have done was strictly maintenance, some are upgrades and there are certainly plenty of "while you're in there" type costs. There are less expensive ways to go about it than what I've done, but nothing that qualifies as "cheap" in my book.

When I bought this car, I think my head was in the same place as you...I wasn't going to modify it, didn't want to spend a fortune, etc. I remember when I was looking at the car, I posted a thread about on Rennlist and someone said I should have 15k in reserve for repairs and maintenance. I said to myself, "that's BS man! No way!". Turns out that the Rennlist poster was a bit low in his estimate.

All that said, this car has gotten under my skin like no other internal combustion powered machine ever has (and I've owned quite a few). There are a lot of sweet cars I could have for the $$ I've put into the 930, but I'm not interested.

This is THE car.
Old 02-02-2010, 01:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)