View Single Post

Porsche Powered Mid-Engine Double Cab

Hello all,
I bought my 67 double cab eight years ago with a 2110 stroker engine and stock suspension, It serves as my daily driver/ shop truck (wood shop).
It ran well for about 15,000 miles till the forged crank snapped in half. I ran it (slowly!) for about a year with the single port 1600 out of my Ghia convertible, then a front wheel
bearing seized and destroyed the spindle. Time to make some changes!

My plan at the time was to replace the swingaxle with a I.R.S. kit from Wagenswest and go for a adjustable narrowed balljoint front beam with 2.5" welded drop spindles from a early 944, rear steel arms and master cylinder from the same car.
I picked up a cheap 85 944 (broken timing belt) as a parts donor and went to work.

Mini me-chanic gettin' some work done between naps.

The engine for this build was going to be a 2.0 914 stroker which I started to collect parts for, I ordered a built vw transaxle to back it up.
While waiting for the transaxle I put in a used, hyper 1835 to get back on the road.
It ran well (a little loud) handled well and braking was awesome.
Ends up I would have to wait forever for the transaxle as the builder ran off with my money(and many others, went from feedback hero to straight up thief).
The next thing that happened is the 1835 develops a terminal oil leak.
Time to make some more changes!

I had this idea while pulling parts off the 944 about using the rear transaxle to a shortened torque tube to a mid- mounted 911 engine.........
Old 02-02-2010, 02:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)