View Single Post
Wo ist die Rennstrecke?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinsko View Post
Ouch. I thought that I had bought the good stuff. Wayne even recommends the Clewett system in his book. So, my new twin plug crankfire system is worse than the stock system?
You bought an economically priced, older technology crank fire ignition system. It's not Clewett's system - it's Electromotive's. I owned it for 2 very long and frustrating years. After I sold the entire Electromotive system and bought the LINK, I kept wasted spark. I wasn't happy with drivability (idle, off idle accel, etc) and was finally talked into a full CDI ignition. Wow - what a difference everywhere. The drivability (and believe it or not, the economy) improved remarkably with idle and off idle acceleration improving the most.

Your stock OEM ignition is more powerful and reliable than the Electromotive System, but it cannot be modified to provide an adjustable curve. If you want the widest adjustability, crank fire is the only way to go (distributors, while supporting CDI, cannot give as wide an adjustability as an ECU). Torque is determined by the application of spark (and a good hot one too) during the compression stroke - too early, detonation; too late, no power.

To be clear, my comments on the Electromotive system are based on my experience in my car. I'm glad it's gone and I don't have to deal with Electromotive. I continue to support Richard Clewett.
Old 02-02-2010, 03:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)