View Single Post

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by djdawson2 View Post
I'm probably going to hold off on coilovers... see what I can get using torsion bars. I can always change later. Plus, I really don't like the idea of putting that kind of load/stress on parts of the car that weren't designed for it. I think the rear end, in particular, would really need to be beefed up... engine out and some fab and welding time.
It really depends on how much power you are making.

Everyone knowledgeable on 911/930 supsensions that i spoke with regarding the fabled 'rear shock tower cracking' line that gets repeated everytime coilovers are mentioned (including guru Clint from Rebel racing), said that they have never seen it happen on street cars. For race or cars that see a lot of track use, even then it's maybe, but if you track your car and want to maintain suspension geometry anyway, no-brainer to reinforce the towers. If you are running a stock motor, then a correctly set-up suspension with torsion bars to your ride taste is more than adequate.

However, if you are making over 450 or so HP, you are going to really need some serious coilage in the rear to counter squat on accleration, and a set in the front to balance it out. I have ridden/driven in a few coilover 911's/930s, including Gabe's 600+hp ride, and most rode and handled better than some stiff torsion bar set ups. All depends on how things are set up. Personally, i like the ease of adjustment of the coilovers, and i think that any 930 making serious power needs them to reach achieve more predictable handling.
1965 Karman Ghia-Class winner 2007 Carrera Panamericana/Ducati 900ss/GhezziBrian STW
D-Zug Produkte/D-Zug.com
Old 02-03-2010, 12:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)