View Single Post
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
I've had a few emails asking me how this story ended so I thought I would post it.

Turns out I created several problems at once.
> When I pulled the injectors and cleaned them the fuel lines to 3 of the injectors began to leak. I had a devil of a time getting them to all seal. Once they stopped leaking the engine ran better but still not good.
> Injector #3 was dribbling and flunked the pressure test when we re-tested all the injectors after the 2nd engine pull. No idea why this happened. Replaced the injector. Engine ran a little better nothing great.
> After all the leaks and dribbles were fixed the engine would respond to fuel mixture tuning. I set the idle screw high enough to keep the engine running and then began adjusting the fuel mixture. After about 1/4 turn (90*) the engine smoothed out. I ran the enrichment up until it started to hunt, backed it off a smidge and set the idle to 1000rpm.
It runs very well now.

Took the car for a few long drives to get a feel for the new headers and all I can say is WOW what a difference. The range from off idle to boost is much more responsive and the engine more powerful. Where the tires used to haze or spin in second gear they now simply fry. I can be traveling down the road at 45mpg, stomp the throttle and light 'em up. Yes!

I got the AFR meter working after relocating the O2 sensor and all looked OK for the boost run. Now I need to get the LM-1 hooked up and see if the WUR needs a tweek before going to the dyno. Hope to do that this weekend.
Old 02-03-2010, 05:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #43 (permalink)