View Single Post

Did he say he tried it on a CIS engine? I'm guessing he said it wouldn't work because that's a mechanical system with no sensors to read.

The SafeGuard has a processor and onboard MAP sensor, so it reads load and RPM.

Decel or light loads can cause false knock, so software ignores the knock sensor if the onboard MAP sensor sees more than five inches of vacuum.

Also, the program has a detection window to listen for knock at the appropriate time.

I'm pretty sure Steve wasn't aware of these points.

There's a lot more I would like to say about the detection algorithm, but it's proprietary. Unfortunately, saying nothing gives the impression there is nothing to brag about.

Revealing details also has drawbacks. One, it gives the competition a starting point. Second, it gives the armchair detractors an opportunity to say "Why did you do it that way, here's how I would have done it..."

It's already happened to me on another forum. The original forum where I posted the information totally ignored it, so I gave away secrets for nothing, then got hit over the head with them later by someone that posts links to knock papers, hoping someone will design what he wants.

AIEEEE! (Marvel Comics scream).

NASIOC - View Single Post - The Knock Box
Old 02-05-2010, 09:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)