View Single Post
Wer bremst verliert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinsko View Post
I would like to hear more about his setup.

I was told that the kock sensor would require either MAP or MAF along with throttle position, and RPM to be truly effective.
Ray replaced the lambda box with a GM ECU he cracked. It retards the signal to his MSD box. The motor bottom-end is entirely stock and the stock sensors, throttle body are all retained.

You do not need MAP or throttle, just ignition control. After the ECU performs the filtering/amplification and any other adjustments you desire it compares the "knock value" against a pre-determined value or algorithm and modifies the timing appropriately for a number of cycles or time period.

A basic system can simply compare

the knock sensor output, if it exceeds X then it pulls 10 degrees from ignition timing for 1 second, then goes back into "listening" mode.

Professionals who focus on this aspect of engine development can and have developed some very effective and sophisticated systems. I have never done business with him but John sounds like he's put some quality time and thought into it.
1978 911 3.0 Lichtbau toy "Gretchen"
1971 911 Targa S backroad toy
Old 02-06-2010, 01:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)