View Single Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJF View Post
If I am not mistaken it was Buick who sold the 215 to British Leyland back in 64 ( I could be wrong either way it was a GM sales) . These motors were used in the Triumph T8, MGB C GT, Range Rover, ect. The all aluminum V8 was actually lighter than the MGB 4 cylinder and was the reason MGB built the MGB C because the inline 6 they originally built in the MGB A GT was too heavy, it required a revised front suspension using torsion bars and the car suffered handled poorly. The 215 molds wore out and since new molds had to be made displacement was increased as well as emission equipment. The gas crunch came right when British Leyland took over the engine program and hurt their efforts. They end up keeping the engine and it served them well it their trucks and larger cars and eventually exclusively the Range Rovers. I thought at one time using a Buick 3.8 from a Grand National for a swap. Not as light but definietly plenty of HP, BIG HP!!!!!!!!
At one time I conemplate doing this engine swap in my '73 MGB...way back in my pre-Porsche days and before I T-boned my 'B' at 60mph. Pretty hot setup.

I still have my 1960 MGA complete with the stock 4 banger puting out maybe 80 horses. Made for tooling around the country roads, being cool, picking up chicks (well, except "chicks" won't have anything to do with a 56 year old geezer).
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 02-06-2010, 05:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)