View Single Post

I just bought an '87 turbo...two pieces of advice I can give you is first to really quiz the mechanic about the car. I too was lucky enough to be able to speak to the mechanic that worked on the car for the preceding 15 years. He wasn't the most talkative guy in the world so I had to pull stuff out...it can get a little uncomfortable at the start but after a while he went through a bunch of stuff.

Secondly, get a compression test (and leak-down if need be) done...it's sort of expensive but in the long run it's cheap insurance that your not buying someone's headache. If the seller says no...WALK AWAY...period. I dealt with a guy that raved about his car...told me how strong the motor is, etc...I agreed to buy it subject to PPI (he said okay)..once I told him I was doing a compression test (all at my expense) he balked. He claimed that the turbo plumbing makes it expensive and time consuming (mechanic would have completed it in a day...?) and said no.....I walked.

Great cars...blast to own...enjoy the hunt...it's almost as fun as the kill!

Best of luck!

87turbo87
Old 02-07-2010, 01:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)