View Single Post

"My only argument about the different units would be yes the other is more programable which can only be a good thing, but when my turbo builds boost, the milliseconds between 2lbs and 5lbs is moot, hell the difference between 2lbs and 14lbs is only a blink of the eye. In drag racing maybe it's negligible."

I already had a the MSD 6AL so it made more sense for me to get the 8762 BTM, and I found a new one on ebay for around $150 shipped.
The other thing is I'm not a drag racer and have never had any interest in it.
I do like fast acceleration and getting pushed back in the seat like any other normal guy.. but I like road racing.

90% of my driving is around town in the city where I rarely accelerate at more than 5psi or around .3bar boost, so during that type of driving I think there is a small but noticeable low boost torque improvement with the boost threshold control set to 5psi... and my car with it's stock 4 speed, 315/30x18" rear tires, 7:1 compression, and 964 cams needs all the help it can get down low.

Using the 8762 BTM with the static idle ignition timing set to around 12 degrees BTDC made my car ALOT peppier and more fun to drive around town.
Out on the interstate or during full throttle accelerations I can't tell any difference because the final timing with full boost retard is about the same as stock.
Old 02-09-2010, 08:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)