View Single Post

Garage
I can assure you there is no debating that turbocharger centrifugal compressors are mechanically more efficient than lobed type superchargers or that installed turbochargers are more efficient in the engine system than superchargers.

However, what is debated is the importance of boost response and predictability in the intended driving cycle. Each machine can make boost and the differences in efficiency can be rectified, to some extent.

The supercharger is mechanically tied to the crankshaft so it’s responsive and predictable. Both of these are traits the vast majority of Porsche guys who prefer N.A. engines will tell you are critical to precision driving. Those who are somewhat more freestyle, like the feel of power generation under their foot and appreciate a surpise from time to time like the turbo. Plus, at the extreme turbos make more HP.

I was hooked on turbos at a very early age when my uncle drove me around in his new early 60s Corvair Turbo Spyder. I can still remember him say “wait for it”. Supercharger guys don’t wait for it.
Old 02-10-2010, 05:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)