View Single Post

Garage
Improved high speed stability with front splitter/diffuser

Finally got around to putting my front end back together after fixing all the damage done last year at track days and Turbopalooza, and decided to fabricate up an aluminum front protector/splitter. (sorry about lame iphone photos, but my digital was out of juice)

As you can see, the lip extends about 1/2" from the margin of the spoiler, and extends all the way around the sides as well. In order to secure it, my metal guy and i ran it centrally all the way back almost to the steering rack.

Finally took it out late last night for some deserted highway high velocity testing and WOW... the high speed stability of the car is dramatically improved. Whereas above 130/140 before the front would start getting a little squirrely, now it was rock stable. My first lesson in undercar aerodynamics was quite amazing

Is this increase in stability due to the small lip of the splitter, or the fact that there is less pressure/turbulence/cavitation of air underneath the front now that all the empty space behind the spoiler is 'blocked off'?

Anyone else have a similar experience with a front splitter/undercar 'diffuser?'

Will try to get some good pix of the underside later this week if anyone interested.
1965 Karman Ghia-Class winner 2007 Carrera Panamericana/Ducati 900ss/GhezziBrian STW
D-Zug Produkte/D-Zug.com
Old 02-11-2010, 07:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)