View Single Post

Garage
Thanks for the replies, the answers have been very helpful.

At the moment I have a very clear vision of how I want to build the chassis but am undecided on which way to go with the engine and transmission.

The chassis would be a tubular steel space frame similar in concept to a 908 or 917, ie mid-mounted engine, independent suspension, cast aluminium uprights, knock-off wheels, biased brakes etc. The race inspired mechanical parts would be covered by a discrete stock looking pre-73 or later impact bumpered narrow bodied coupe shell using a lot of lightweight composite panels.

For the pre-73 shape I am thinking of a lightweight small capacity max 2.8ltr NA engine hence my magnesium questions. Or for the impact bumpered shape using a heavier twin turbo'd 400bhp engine with a G50 trans. I don't want to go extreme with the power levels as I don't think I will need it as I am aiming for an ambitious total car weight of 1800lbs.

The easy option would be to use a later 3.6 NA engine but I would like the overall look of the car to be period correct at the time of manufacture for which ever body shell I end up using. As if Porsche had built a road car from a homologated silhouette race car.
Old 02-11-2010, 01:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)