View Single Post

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFairman View Post
You could also make it out of fiberglass or carbon kevlar composite if you have that hanging around.

Take a flat sheet of aluminum thats bigger than the piece you want to make and spray it lightly with mold release or wax. Even covering it with masking tape will work since polyester resin will not stick or go off in contact with masking tape.

Then lay 8oz. or whatever thickness fiberglass cloth you're using on the aluminum sheet and wet it out with polyester resin and a brush, adding layers of glass to get the thickness you want.
Then roll it with a fiberglass roller to squeeze the air bubbles out and press the layers of glass together and the excess resin to the top.

Then take a 6" or wider bondo squeegee and carefully wipe it over the fiberglass cloth while tipped at a slight angle to sqeegee out the excess resin. This will press the layers of glass together even more and wipe the excess resin out of the fiberglass layup and make the part stronger and lighter while leaving a nice uniform texture on the surface.
The other side against the aluminum sheet will be smooth when done and will be the smooth finished top side you see when screwed or riveted onto the bottom of the airdamn.

You can put pigment in polyester resin to color it so it doesn't need to be painted and it will stay the same color as it gets worn away if it bottoms out or hits something.

Then pull/lift it off the aluminum sheet that you used as a flat mold and cut and sand it to the shape you want.

The aluminum sheet is unharmed, the mold release rinses off with water, and it can still be used for other things.
I have been playing around a lot with fiberglass since doing the 914/6 project (plus i repair all my surfboards) and this sound great... a custom glass splitter with NACA ducts. However, my original goal was a 'cowcatcher' that would protect the front from road debris and bottoming, and as Zeb said, the glass would probably get destroyed soon. The AL is not that heavy anyway.
1965 Karman Ghia-Class winner 2007 Carrera Panamericana/Ducati 900ss/GhezziBrian STW
D-Zug Produkte/D-Zug.com
Old 02-12-2010, 07:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)