View Single Post

I have the 944 turbo with the Tec 3 and I use the J&S safe guard. I ran this combo for two years and am convinced it is a great system for any car that is turbocharged. I have gotten bad gas on the street and prior to the J&S heard audible knock. After installing the J&S If I was getting into any detonation above the set limit, I would get a knock indication on the led I put up in a gauge pod on the A pillar.

My car is a three litre and was a combo street/ track car. With the J&S system I was able to use the factory knock sensor which is tuned to the engine by Porsche and I also had a GM knock sensor hooked to the TEC 3 which could be datalogged. Even though the TEC 3 has provisions for knock control, the GM sensor was too sensitive to the mechanical noises inherent in the 944T engine with two balance shafts and the overhead cam.

After installing the J&S system and setting the system up, and having a good tune, I never had an audible indication of knock, but on occasion the J&S light would flicker a bit indication it was cutting timing. I really couldn't feel it and I never saw any indication on my EGTs (four cylinder) that would indicate it was cutting timing enough to raise EGT.

Two years and twenty thousand miles with excellent oil analysis results, no oil consumption and great looking plug readings tell me this has been a good addition to a high performance engine.

The only problem I ever had with the system is that the connectors in the MSD 8870 got a bit loose and I was getting a random loss of ignition usually corresponding with hard braking into a turn or on hitting a dip. Found the problem by taking it apart checking the connectors, tightened them up a bit and after that it was back to normal.

Hope this helps as a completely objective assessment of my results.
Old 02-15-2010, 12:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)