View Single Post

Pete,
To rectify the problem is cheap as far as parts are concerned- I suspect you did not bend the shift fork because that would be plain odd. All that is needed is to: remove the trans, remove the front cover and middle housing, loosen both 1/2 and 3/4 forks, put ridiculous expensive Porsche jig to hold the rails, adjust the forks, re-tighten the 13mm head locking bolts, and reassemble the trans. While it is out, it couldn't hurt to look at clutch, flywheel, and gear options. Now if you want to do gears, I suggest replacing the individual gear sets (as opposed to ring and pinion) because they do not involve setting the tolerances for the R&P (takes a good chunk of time to perform this). However the gear sets are big money, I think good new sets are about $700+. Definitely look at your synchros and sliders, they are also very expensive, but those are worth replacing "while your in there." Last time I screwed up my tranny, I simply bought a case of oil to refill the motor, trans fluid, and a gasket kit for the trans; took it apart, fixed it, and then just slapped it back together- total parts cost was like $120 total. At that time I promised myself to not perform any "while your in there" stuff as the car was fine other than the slid fork. If you enjoyed your car before the incident, I suggest just fixing her and leave it.
2008 C6/Z51 Corvette
Old 02-16-2010, 02:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)