View Single Post

Sexy!

Looks like it is set for a light weight Stainless Steel Tial turbo and WG's!

Some thoughts:

Wast Gates:

I like the WG circuit. Wonder if they would be better if they angled off the straight section of the pipe instead of in the elbow. No idea which might be better to keep turbulence at a minimum. I very much like how the WG's are set up to flow as well as the turbo. If it is for a GT35 based turbo they have relatively small hot sides that probably require and benefit from such a great WG set up.

I very much like the reduced volume of the WG circuit. This reduces the header volume to be pressurized. Volume is one of the enemy's of lag. I bet if one measured there internal volume with water and compared it to the typical shorty system , they would probably be pretty close.

The "Y":

The Tial SS turbine creates a bit of a special challenge and opportunity.

The current solution looks nice but it points the two secondary tubes at each other where they merge and there is no apparent tapper. It also looks like there might be an internal step up into the flange base but that could be the picture.

There is an awful lot that has to happen here at the Y.

The secondary tubes have to turn 90 deg and the internal volume has to reduce a significant 45% before it can enter the turbo (assuming two 2" secondary tubes in to one 2 1/8" turbo inlet flange).

If this area looked more like a merge collector with the turns made more fully earlier and in a way to create a more definable collector style tapper before the gasses inter the turbine, it might make for a more orderly transition and reduce turbulence potential at the "Y". Just like it has been done at the primary collectors.
--

Having said that, out of all the 930 systems I have ever seen, this is probably the best in so many ways.

Not an expert, just my two cents worth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RarlyL8 View Post
Old 02-17-2010, 08:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #44 (permalink)