View Single Post
beancounter

Quote:
Originally Posted by matty74 View Post
I'm sticking with KKK
Would not be surprised at all if KKK component production is also outsourced to facilities in "developing" countries.

Much of the OEM parts you can buy here on Pelican are not german made. The Glyco/Federal Mogul engine and rod bearings I bought for my rebuild have "Made in Poland" stickers on the box. I've read in the forums that some folks have seen quality issues with the OEM Glyco bearings. One suggestion is to source geniune Porsche from a dealer (also mfg by Glyco, but with QC by Porsche), or get some super secret custom jobs from Jerry Woods...either option will cost you more than a Garrett turbo. I promise you that I am not cutting corners or "cheaping out" on this rebuild, but you do have to draw the line somewhere. I could not bring myseft to drop 1-2 grand on bearing sets...talk about ludicrous. The damn made in Poland Glyco ones are pricey enough as it is.

Also as part of my rebuild I'm replacing my chain tensioner idler arms with the updated ones. Brand spanking new one was defective out of the box...the sprocket shaft bores were not square and the sprocket was binding and not spinning smooth. This is a small $250 piece of cast metal that is simple as can be, but somehow they managed to screw it up.

You know, maybe the Chinese should start making P-car bearing sets and chain tensioner arms and selling them through Harbor Freight because if I'm going to get junk anyway, I'd prefer that it cost less.
Old 02-25-2010, 12:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)