View Single Post
Metal Guru

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cole930 View Post
In my research I found that the avg. hourly wage for a UAW plant floor worker is $72.00 an hour with benefits.
A few years ago the local GM plant was negotiating their new contract and we were doing work in the plant at the time. The negotiations came down to a contract provision that provided either a golf membership or a personal trainer for each plant UAW worker.
The present administration is owned by labor unions and we are going to be paying for their portion of the tax on their Cadillac health care plans so they don't loose any of there $72.00 pr. hr. The irony of all this is the Labor Unions are driving American manufacturing to India, China, and Mexico are the first to ***** about all the jobs going overseas or to Mexico.
Cole, I work for Ford Motor Company. Let me bring you up-to-date on the auto industry.
The top wage of a production worker is $26/hr excluding benefits. Skilled trades is $30/hr (new hires will make far less). The health care has been cut over the past few years and now the UAW administers the retirement and health benefits rather than the auto companies. It's a decent wage but trust me, none of those guys are driving 930s on what they make.
As for work rules, many trades have been eliminated. When I was at GM the trades wouldn't "cross over" but that was 30 years ago. In my 21 years as Ford, I never had to wait for, say, an electrician to unplug an electrical cord so a machine repairman could remove a part behind it. The machine repairman just unplugged the cord and went about his job.
As for the GM "negotiation" you mentioned, well, I'm sorry but that's just not true. GM's been closing plants for 20 years. If the local UAW tried to extort personal trainers or golf memberships out of management, the plant would close, period. In fact, it's been quite the opposite: the union locals at all Big 3 plants have been amenable to changing work rules and classifications as the plants compete with each other to stay open and get new products to manufacture.
EmptyGarage, just so you know, I earn every penny that Ford pays me. You'd be shocked at the amount of casual overtime I work.
As I see it, the problem with the overall economy has been that there is no industrial policy set by any administration, Republican or Democratic. First we allowed steel to go offshore in the mid-1970's, and the rest of manufacturing has been slowly going with it. Manufacturing, especially auto manufacturing, plays a big role providing good paying jobs, which drive the economy. If we want to see the future, all we have to do is look at the decline of Great Britain as a world economic power to see what's in store for us.
Port matched, SC cams, K27/K29 turbo, Roush Performance custom headers w/Tial MV-S dual wastegates, Rarlyl8 muffler, LWFW, GT2 clutch & PP, BL wur, factory RS shifter, RS mounts, FVD timing mod, Big Reds, - 210 lb

Last edited by 911nut; 02-25-2010 at 05:04 PM..
Old 02-25-2010, 04:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)