View Single Post

Brian,

The points I am trying to make are:
Quote:
If we can increase our average HP per gear we end up with a faster car.

There are several basic ways to increase average HP,

make more peak hp,

narrow the gear spacing to stay at a higher HP level,

or build a motor with a wider power band.
In support of that, and to begin what I thought might be a fun topic, I did a fair amount of number crunching, referencing of gear charts, looking for & referencing a representative dyno chart, and study to come up with some very specific info that helped me better understand a little bit what is happening with a 930.

In reply I believe your points so far are basically:

1) Put in a 915.

2) Achieving highest average HP per gear is not important and one "should look at Torque".

I am thinking most built 930's are going to make enough torque to brake a 915 at some point.

And as to the Torque v HP, all motors make torque and horsepower so one can not build one motor to make Torque and build a different one to make Horsepower.

As such and to be even more literal, torque is not a good measure of what accelerates a car. Horsepower to weight is.

If you mean to infer:

A 915 has better (tighter) gears that keep the motor operating higher in the power band more of the time.

And -- that building a 930 that makes as much power as possible in the low to mid RPM range over building for peak HP, makes for a faster car.

If so, we are saying the same thing but just differently.
Old 02-27-2010, 03:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)