View Single Post
Forced Induction Junkie

Garage
911st wrote;
"Now, if we decide to stick with a stock 4 spd transmission, we would want to build a motor with as wide of a HP curve as we can."

I respectfully disagree with the whole premise of tailoring an engine to fit transmission characteristics. To be kind, you are being penny-wise and pound-foolish. Who would build an engine to meet the characteristics of a transmission, when it is more cost effective to change gear ratios, ratio spacing, R&P to achieve a desired goal?

Gear ratios are a means to an end, implemented to achieve a stated goal, achieving optimum performance (MPG, E.T., Lap Time) for its stated environment. Be it street, highway or track, a transmission is selected AFTER the engine design is complete, not the other way around.

On the whole HP vs. TQ thing.....simply put, Torque GETS you there(i.e. acceleration), Horsepower KEEPS you there (MPH). They are interrelated. Transmissions are TORQUE multiplication devices NOT HP multiplication devices.

Rant over.....sorry.
Werk I Zuffenhausen 3.3l/330BHP Engine with Sonderwunsch Cams, FabSpeed Headers, Kokeln IC, Twin Plugged Electromotive Crankfire, Tial Wastegate(0.8 Bar), K27 Hybrid Turbo, Ruf Twin-tip Muffler, Fikse FM-5's 8&10x17, 8:41 R&P
Old 02-27-2010, 08:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)