View Single Post

TJ,

Appreciate the input. I am learning all the time and am somewhat limited by my lack of formal mechanical education.

Here is the example I might give. One motor makes 400 ft lbs of TQ and 200hp. The other makes 300 ft lbs of TQ and 300hp.

Both have transmissions that keep them in there ideal power-bands and all other factors like weight, friction, air resistance, traction.. the same. Which car will be faster? I believe the higher HP motor will be.

I wonder, maybe the 'rate acceleration increases' or delta is faster with more TQ but the acceleration its self is greater with more HP.

Maybe that is the same as saying acceleration v speed in a technical sort of way.

Still spit balling. I makes sense that the greater the TQ the more or faster something can be moved. That is, one could have a 300lb weight on the end of a 1 foot lever and is would do more work than a 200 lb weight. However, if you use the 200 lb weight twice and the 300 lb weight only once, you do more gross work with the 200 lb weight. TQ as it applies to our motor's on a dyno is a measure of only one event shall we say (or three cylinders firing with one rpm) where as HP is how much work can be done with each event times how many events that can be fit into a period of time.

Again, we are probably saying the same thing but doing so differently.

I am still learning here and hope to continue to do so with good positive discussions of this type.

The best.
Old 02-27-2010, 10:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)