View Single Post

In a jam, expertise requested (82 930)

First, I have been on these boards for years, I just can't remember the password or email address I registered with.

I have a gorgeous 82 930. I have had it for two years. I put less then 1,000 miles on it each year. I would regularly drive it about 100 miles a month or so, until I deployed last year. When I returned in Jan, I decided to sell the 930 and find a nice 951.

Jump ahead a few weeks. The 930 is sold to a gentleman in Texas. The car transport was to pick the car up this morning, however, I took the car out of the garage to warm it up, drove it around the block, let it idle for about 3 mins. I did not drive it hard, didn't even go over 25 mph.

I was about ready to shut the car off when the RPMs dropped, the engine shut off, and then backfired with a single pop.

I attemped to restart the car and it only spins, does not turn over.

I contacted the buyer and explained the situation. The silver lining is this happened BEFORE the car was picked up, as if the buyer decides he wants his money back, obviously I would do that. But if it broke when it got there, it would be hard since it was out of my possession. Silver lining I suppose.

The first thing that popped into my nugget was rod bearings, but that's mainly because I had to deal with them once in a 944. I know very little about the 930 engine (which is why I was getting out of the 911 world and back into something I was a bit more comfortable with, the 944).

Given those symptoms (rpm drop, backfire, no start just spins) what can I potentially be looking at? I am bracing for the worst, so looking for brutal honesty.

Kind regards,
Matt Olde

Last edited by Cain-MO; 02-28-2010 at 04:52 AM..
Old 02-28-2010, 04:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)