View Single Post
Arrgh Matey!

'79 930 Engine Rebuilt- Retorque Heads? Adjust Valves? Intervals.

Hello guys.

I have a '79 930 I've been on for 2 years now... I'm pretty sure I'll be rolling this spring (sheesh). She sat in a dusty field for a few years, and before that was abused slightly by careless nitwit owners (I'm pretty sure). I've loved the car and done my best to bring it back to life; I have a few questions that I think are important [without searching the boards like a madman] and hope you can help me decide what is next.

I rebuilt the motor- it runs great.
There is some oil leaking from the cam towers, more on the side where the cooler is. I replaced the thermostat seal, and the cooler seals, but still drippity drip , not bad, but not so good. I guess if I have to retorque and all we'll be sealing up anyway.....

Here are my questions:
1.) what point to retorque heads? I've done 0 miles since rebuild, as I needed to change other things like a rust gas tank and such [all done now]

2.) what point to adjust valves ?
POST REBUILD

3.)is it best to pull the motor for this service?
I HAVE A SHOP WITH LIFTS.

4.) the oil leaking from cam towers I used a touch of the sealant on final assembly- is that a nono?

5.)The fuel filters I've bought all had the wrong fittings- and I need fuel lines anyway (for engine bay) who is the best source?

6.) I replaced the clutch cable, it's almost adjusted to the max, just to have the pedal feeling quasi normal- is this normal for a 930? I suppose it is...my dad had an '86 10 years ago and I remember a vague pedal feel... I think.

7.) The lucky question:I have a damaged oil loop line, and can buy the bigger radiator style fender mounted cooler from a local buddy- is it mandatory?

THANKS DUDES! enjoy the weekend.

MASON
Old 02-28-2010, 06:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)