View Single Post
Arrgh Matey!

OK - Exhaust manifolds are glowing

Alright, This car is killing me. The smoke problem i've been having is NOT from a scavenge pump. I checked, all is well.

The ball is in the valve..... the turbo is not spewing oil into the intake system....BUT- alas... After a nice leisurely afternoon setting the ignition timing and preparing for my first uneventful NORMAL cruise in this 930, HUGE PLUMES OF SMOKE. This is what prompted me to check the scavenge system. NADA, it flows normal.

I ran it again this evening, and for the first time noticed GLOWING RED EXHAUST system right at the ports. SO- I know we have a fuel issue

Now, I have both pumps running, the filter is brand new, the car starts, idles and revs normally- EVEN THE PLUGS look FINE.

So what do I have, a fuel distributor issue. I know someone is going to tell me to check the pressure- which is fine- I will. But I should tell you guys the first few times I ran this car it was pumping fine rust silt from a bad gas tank.....And now i've resolved that. I wonder if the injectors are clogged.... is the only way to tell by removing them and watching the pattern??? Also, what about the accumulator- can IT cause a lean situation? Finally- GLOWING RED MANIFOLDS IS ALWAYS STARVING FOR FUEL RIGHT? I think I'll finally have this car on the road by spring! Yippee.... If you guys help me, I won't be broke when the time comes to hit the road. This is the 10th or so time I've tried getting the car to run solid after a major overhaul- now I'm feeling a bit scared that something could have been toasted by the lean condition. I hope not.

THANKS.
Old 02-28-2010, 03:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)