View Single Post
Forced Induction Junkie

Garage
"Why is a diesel with so much more TQ slower than a Gas motor with half as much TQ but more HP?"

You mean like an Audi ALMS Diesel LMP1 car with the same HP as Acura LMP1 gasoline but more torque? There is no car on the planet that charges harder out of the corners than the LMP1 Diesel's from Peugeot and Audi. So your argument doesn't hold up there.

"lso, why is a HD 1200 with 80# of TQ with 5 gears so much slower than a 1 liter sport bike with the same TQ, about twice the HP, and 6 gears go almost twice a fast?"

You think that HD weighs the same as 1liter GSX-R? Your argument doesn't hold up there either. Even then, the HD is quicker off the line than the GSX-R.....not unless the GSX-R driver fries his tires.

"As to gears, why did sports cars get more gears sooner than passenger cars?"
"Porsche turbos went from 4 to 5 to 6 gears as the TQ band got flatter and flatter and the HP numbers got higher and higher."

EPA test cycles for one.......why do you think the C-5 Corvettes got 6 speeds? .All to improve CAFE numbers. Talk to any Corvette owner and ask them what they think of 6 speeds. Ask any Porsche 911 Turbo owner is more exciting to accelerate, the 996 turbo or the 930 turbo. A lot of them think the Tiptronic is just as much fun as the 6 speed. It is that boring, even though the 996 turbo is quicker.

"Anyway, if your first is to short a taller one could make a significant improvement in your acceleration under 100 mph if you have enough traction."

You're preaching to the choir, my friend.

Keith, I'm sure you're a great guy, but man, you just can't go around and start redefining everything because it make sense to you. These practices and formulas have been around a very long, long, long time. Newton's Law has been around for centuries. Porsche drivetrains are no different than any other car manufacturers, just different in how they're executed. Same laws apply, even to Porsche. Sorry, Ferry.
Werk I Zuffenhausen 3.3l/330BHP Engine with Sonderwunsch Cams, FabSpeed Headers, Kokeln IC, Twin Plugged Electromotive Crankfire, Tial Wastegate(0.8 Bar), K27 Hybrid Turbo, Ruf Twin-tip Muffler, Fikse FM-5's 8&10x17, 8:41 R&P
Old 02-28-2010, 06:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)