View Single Post

Dave,

The LTM is an extreme example. It also has other attributes to it that makes it fast. How about comparing the VW TDI to the Gas TI.

Put a 290 lb guy on the 1 liter sport bike and a 200 lb guy on the HD, the rolling weights will be the same, and the sport bike will still leave the HD for gone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WERK I View Post
But we have to keep in mind why so many new cars have more gears.......that ugly acronym, EPA, wanting more and more MPG's, lower emissions...
Quote:
Originally Posted by WERK I View Post
...why do you think the C-5 Corvettes got 6 speeds? .All to improve CAFE numbers...
I thought the Corvette & CTS V had to run with gear lock outs effectively making it go from 1st to 4th, 5th & 6th in town. Not sure I have a point as gears are used for many reasons. Many cars have a lot of gears to improve performance but start in 2nd to improve ride (Lexus, MBZ, 928...?). Thus, I suspect gears are more corlated with price point than EPA/CAFE stuff.

Just a note, the 996TT was one of the first ultra low emissions cars to hit the street. Efficiency and performance often can go hand in hand. However, dollars are also a driver and thus things like variable cam timing, special TQ broadening intake tracts are more likely to be adopted in an expensive car first and often in the expensive performance cars first (Ferrari and variable exhaust tuning?) .

As to an auto v manual. An auto is typically faster shifting and even a better fit with a turbo keeping it more in boost, and for drag racing. On the track the manual is still mostly king. I think if I was going to buy a 996TT I might opt for the auto box and learn to left foot brake.

I wonder if one of the reasons besides its high TQ as to why 930 did not get a 5 speed out of the gate was because of turbo lag

Can we put a TT auto box in a turbo?

This would be more fun over a couple of beers.

Night - night and the best.

Old 02-28-2010, 07:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)