View Single Post

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 911st View Post
Yes -- we have gotten off base with the debate over TQ v HP. This might be considered part of the foundation for such a discussion but it would be nice to get past this as the transmission can be a significant impact on performance and or drive-ability.

As the title suggests:

How do we build a 930 to work better with the unique wide ratio, tall gear, 4 speed .

Would probably be reasonable to expand this to:

What makes the 4 speed a challenge?

What is the opportunity to fix the 4 speed's gear ratios.

A cost benefit of a trans mod v more motor HP mods.
And that will need another thread.

Pardon me for injecting the idea of the need to do a cost/benefit analysis of mods on the engine vs. mods on or replacement of the trans in a previous post. I know dollars spent on transmissions don't generate impressive dyno charts. I see this as a somewhat new phenomena. As short as 15 years ago, before plentiful dynos, vehicle performance was judge by the overall vehicle package. Still today, you pick up a car magazine, they don't announce:

"The (XZ) makes 400HP/350TQ, the (YZ) makes 350HP/350TQ - XZ WINS........(add some pictures)......end of story."

It seems absurd when put this way but I often get the impression many think this way.
Old 03-02-2010, 10:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #47 (permalink)