View Single Post
Happiest when Tinkering

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonE View Post
IMO, if you are looking to really tune your motor, you are going to have to experiment a bit. I tried about 4 different plugs until I ended up with NGK BKR9EIX. The environment these plugs have to perform in is incredible and when you add boost and timing, you can run into real problems fast. Too hot of a plug and you risk detonation - too cold and you loose power. If you have CDI, you will benefit by using a rare earth metal like Iridium - very hot spark (not plug, the spark). These are large (and old) combustion chambers with two big valves, high pressure and high turbulence that need a hot powerful spark for peak performance.

Also, you'll need to experiment with gaps. I set mine to .032, starting at .025.

Good luck.
Since what I have read says EDIS is wasted spark and somewhat weak would I need a hotter spark such as what you say for CDI?
76 911 C.R.A.P. Gruppe #2 BIG time TURBO C.R.A.P. Bitz EFI/EDIS Now MegaSquirt 3
76 Blazer also restored by me
Old 03-03-2010, 03:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)