View Single Post

You have to practically fill the intercooler with solvent when sloshing it around to rinse out the oil or you'll never touch the rows towards the top with the solvent.
Plugging boost sending unit holes and 1" hose connections if there are any will help.

Because gas is about 1/3 the cost of cheap mineral spirits or wash grade laquer thinner I use gasoline for that.
Wear neoprene gloves and do it on a day your neighbors are upwind.

After that, I fill my bathtub with hot water and a strong mix powdered Tide laundry detergent.
Then dunk the intercooler into the soapy water upside down so it fills, then slosh it around and drain it out. Repeat that a bunch of times to rinse the gas and oil out and then do the same thing with cold clean water to get the detergent out.

Then shake out as much water as possible and install it on the car and drive it ASAP on the interstate or wherever for a while to dry out the inside.

Dawn detergent is good and will work too but Tide is stronger.
I know mechanics that clean their shop floors with powdered Tide detergent and cold water by choice and use a stiff push broom to scrub the greasy concrete floors relatively clean, then hose it all out.
Old 03-11-2010, 03:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)