View Single Post

Sorry for jumping in so late. So now, you've got the pumps running....the car actually started and ran for a minute, then abruptly shut down BUT THE PUMPS ARE STILL RUNNING and you can't get her to start back up. Correct?

I guess now the focus returns to ignition issues. In one of the pictures that you sent (see below)

see the smaller of the two rectangluar "boxes" on the relay tray. That should be your ignition shut off delay which is intended to keep ignition spark active for a couple seconds after you turn the key off, in order to burn residual fuel from the lines. If that relay were to malfunction, convceivably it would interrupt power to the CDI. Just a thought...I haven't heard of anyone experiencing starting issues when that relay goes south, just that it stops doing the delay thing. But who knows? Pull it out, clean the contacts anyway.

If you've ruled out CDI/coil/distrubutor and are confident all ignition related components are working, then it must be an intermittent power interuption somewhere.

What PITA these cars can be. Just this moring on the way to work, mine gave me a split-second hiccup (as in pumps shut down feeling, a wanna-be face in the dash syndrome). 60 mph steady throttle, no boost, just cruising...hiccup. $hit. Paranoia strikes deep, into our hearts it will creep...shades of Buffalo Springfield.
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.

Last edited by mark houghton; 03-19-2010 at 10:34 AM..
Old 03-19-2010, 10:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)