View Single Post

Garage
The first 230mph street legal 911 Turbo

As we are in the midst of celebrating 'Eddie Bello Speed Weeks', with a 236 mph run at TopGun this past weekend and upcoming Texas mile assault i thought you guys might find this car interesting...as an avid history buff and lover of a good story, i know i did, as i had never even heard of it. But now i have thanks to fellow Pelican Zach Pruett (also owner of a wicked modded 930) whose dad Leo Pruett helped wrench the car,

Back in the 80's there was a gentleman by the name of Denny Kahler who wrenched Porsches at his shop in CA and decided he wanted to go fast in his 74 911... really fast. So he built his 74 into this sled, chopped the roof and put in an aluminum case 2.0 twin turbo MFI motor and took it to Bonneville in 1987 and did over 180 before the motor blew. He then went back the following year and did 222 with the rebuilt 2.0TT motor, followed by 230 with the 3.0TT motor. Denny eventually destroyed the car in 2004 at Bonneville when he crashed trying to break the 230 mph record.

Here is a link to a really great article Zach sent me about the original car and 1987 record attempt

MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service

A VERY entertaining read. Some great shots of the car, especially one of it cruising on a CA street. You see how easy we have it today with modern EFI and all of our technology... back then tuning meant listening to how the motor sounded and yanking the plugs after every run to see if a cylinder was rich or lean. These guys were the pioneers.

Hopefully Zach and maybe even Denny Kahler himself will chime in to fill in the blanks.

If anyone here knows more about this great car which ran at Bonnevillie for almost 20 years, feel free to contribute
1965 Karman Ghia-Class winner 2007 Carrera Panamericana/Ducati 900ss/GhezziBrian STW
D-Zug Produkte/D-Zug.com
Old 03-19-2010, 02:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)