View Single Post

Hello Fred,
The Canton Mecca filter once assembled will spin on to the oil tank just like the regular filter, Below is a photo of the filter installed and the element that is used, No it does not have a by-pass, When using a synthetic depth filtration element you avoid the biggest limitation of pleated paper (surface filtration) that is once contaminants begin to accumulate on the surface flow is compromised and by-passing of the element occurs on a greater scale. The percentage of by-pass on the average filter is predicated on: flow requirements, and preventing damage to the filter media and or shell. The lesser quality filters will have a lower pressure on the by-pass valve for the reasons mentioned earlier,Most of the by-pass episodes will occur with cold oil and hi flow conditions, (sustained hi speed running) and both will be exarbated by contaminant build up on the element. One troubling aspect of by-pass is that contaminants may be scoured of the media surface and sent to your oil pump . All this being said the Mahle OC-54 is a excellent filter ( IT would be my choice if I were to run a standard filter) but if you are willing to spend more , there are better choices available. BTW the "oberg" type filter mentioned in a earlier post on this thread is also a step above the standard filters as it does not need a by-pass valve. If interested P.M. me and I will give you the shop ph. # , I will be glad to give you the part#'s so you can call them.

Lou Verdiales/ Aero Dynamics
386-304-0380
Old 03-19-2010, 07:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)