View Single Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBL930 View Post
I mentioned on another post that we had a similar event here in the UK the day before, and there was a 1000 bhp car that managed 222mph. This was a Cabriolet water cooled car, i thought it was a 997 to start with but it's a 996. Anyway, point being this was a mega fast car, and yes it's heavier than Bello's motor, but it only managed 222mph in 1.5 miles, Bello getting 236+ in one mile is something to behold!!
This is a VIDEO of the 996 taken by a German fella that's big on the BMW boards, i am in the 997GT2 with Toby, the GT2 is a proper 650bhp RS Tuning engine. The GT2 only managed 197. It's stuff like this that really brings it home just how quick that Bello car is!!!!
JBL

I apologize for quoting your post, this has absolutely no ill intentions, just a few opinions and different point of view and I hope you dont mind.

1- The difference in drag between the Cabrio in the video and Bello's car is over 100hp. In other terms, this is a 6-7mph top speed difference..It would take the same engine almost another fifth of a mile to reach the same top speed all else being equal.

2- The difference in rolling friction between the rather narrow 18" tires that Bello has and the 315s of the Cabrio (looks like it) is an approximate 20hp difference at those speeds. That's about a 1 mph top speed difference.

3- The Weight difference is about 10 mph in top speed. Same as in point #1 above, it would take the same engine another quartermile to reach the same speed all else being equal..

When you look at it this way, it is very reasonable to say that Bello's car can run this sort of speed in the mile with less than 1000fwhp.

As to the incremental half a mile between both events, that is around an additional 15mph top speed, and you are right concerning standstill vs rolling start, a typical 0-60mph on the street takes around 160 feet - 50 meters, whereas an incremental 1 mph at top speed takes about double that distance..so there is a difference, but it would be less than 1 mph in top speed at best.

The 997GT2 could not have been making 650hp and reach only 197mph, I am sure the owner he could confirm that, top speed should be around 201-202mph for that car.

All the above is just plain data though and I am in no way trying to downplay this outstanding success.. Bello makes all aircooled owners proud, he is simply one very smart and very loco man and great engine builder/tuner, and we stand behind him to beat another record in Texas, if anyone deserves it that is definitely him.

Last edited by 993GT2EVO; 03-20-2010 at 09:09 AM..
Old 03-20-2010, 09:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #66 (permalink)