View Single Post

Garage
Flywheel machining pro/con

I took the engine out to solve the sticking clutch pedal issue I have had since purchase with this 930. Sure enough the guide tube has a nice wear pattern on one side of it. Since I am in there I am replacing the clutch, TO bearing, pressure plate, o rings, rear seal, pilot bearing, etc. and pressure washing the bay, engine, and trans.

Flywheel needs to be addressed. It has some blueing and some wear from previous owner riding the clutch instead of repairing the sticking clutch.

If I have the flywheel machined, am I introducing any large degree of risk in the area of reduced clamping force, weakened structure, or will the reduced mass make the flywheel get hotter, sooner? Or, are there no risks and I get the benefit of a slightly lightened flywheel.

Any advice?

Also, on the clutch fork, should I dress up the edges of the fork where it contacts the TO bearing? There seems to be a little wear pattern on the ends of the fork...

What's the best approach to lubing the new guide tube? Should I leave it alone or put some very high temp grease on it?

Thanks guys.

I'm psyched to get back on the road!

1988 930 coupe - Silver Metallic
stock 3.3L w/GT35R, B&B Headers, RarlyL8 muffler, B&B intercooler, Tial wastegate, Electromotive tecGT based phased sequential EFI & ignition, Wevo shifter
Old 03-27-2010, 03:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)