View Single Post

I recently did this and if I did it again I would probably do it differently.

Here is what I found when fitting the duct to my 1982 SC tub.
- I installed it with the rear bottom flange of the duct on the outside of the floor pan. I cut the floor pan leaving a similar length flange in front of the suspension cross member and overlapped the 2 flanges.
- I installed the side bottom flanges on the outside of the floor pan, cutting the floor pan very close to the side verticle parts of the duct - again overlapping the floor pan on the flanges of the air duct.
- I could not get the 2 side, vertical flanges to fit properly - they protruded too far out the front of the tub (~15mm). I was originally planning on having these on the inside of the however I would had had to move the duct rearwards - however the suspension cross member prevented this. Therefore I cut the 2 side, verticle flanges off.
- The front top flange did not follow the countour of the tub. I placed this flange on the inside of the tub and found that both of the front top corners needed to be reshaped toward the rear. I tried clamping this to force the tub to follow the contour of the duct but this did not work. As I had already removed the side flanges, I cut a small "V" shape in the duct, about 2" long, right below the ends of the front top flange. I then reshaped the flange rearward and re- welded the flange to the duct.

If I was going to do this again I would do exactly the same with the rear bottom flange and the side bottom flanges however I would cut the front of the tub to be very neat with the front top and front side profiles of the duct. I would then leave the flanges of the duct sticking out of the front of the tub and stitch weld the tub directly to the duct - ignoring the front top and side flanges. I would then trim the flanges off the duct - once it is stitched to the tub and butt weld the top and sides of the duct to the tub.

Here are spme pictures that may help you.

I hope this helps.

Richard.
Old 03-27-2010, 10:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)