View Single Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by equality72521 View Post
I know for certain this one is vacuum retard and mechanical advance. I just wasn't sure if the vacuum pot played any part off idle and if there is any good reason to disconnect it. The vacuum pot is for emissions right? Does it affect performance in any way that would make me want to disconnect it?
I thought that only us anal Americans worried about emissions, unless even the Euro dizzy versions were fitted with vacuum pots when landing on our shores.

AFAIK, the retard function at idle for US cars was intened to raise exhaust temperatures and thus keep the catalytic converters at peak efficiency. I don't think there would be any issue running without the vacuum hose connected, other than having to perhaps dial your idle down a bit.

But what I'm not real clear on is how the single pot dizzys retard timing as boost builds. Unless that's a bi-directional pot that can magically retard in response to either/or vacuum or boost. Those guys out there with the same dizzy can probably elucidate on that point.
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.

Last edited by mark houghton; 03-29-2010 at 08:20 AM..
Old 03-29-2010, 08:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)