View Single Post

Transmission removal made easy- been gone for awhile- thought I'd post

Here is a quick overview of the transmission removal and install - Trust me is VERY EASY but a transmission jack is helpful. I have done it in a gravel drive with no jack and in the garage with music playing and all the right eq- you decide your level of aggravation...

1- Find a plasma torch- kidding- jack and secure the car on stands or ramps. -

2- Undo the shafts at the transmission and suspend the CV and shafts. No need to take them off- I use speed wire to hold them high

3- Disconnect the connector for the reverse light switch- easy to see and find its in the bottom pic to the left of the transmission mount.

4- Push the shift rod bellows to the rear and unscrew clamping screw. Dissconnect teh shift rod from the intermediate lever.

5- Pull the dust plate and rotate the torque tube to access the Allen bolts of the clamping tube- remove the bolts- PUSH THE SLEEVE TOWARDS THE TRANSMISSION until it clears the shaft. Not towards the engine..You can use and extension and a swivel to make it easier.-- SEE TOP PICTURE BELOW

6- Block or suspend the torque tube

7- Position the Trans jack or floor jack and remove the transmission mount bolts SEE BOTTOM PIC ABOVE

8- Remove the transmission / central tube bolts

9- Pull the transmission to the rear and lower and done!!!!

Simple enough- install torques are Trans to tube for the M12 its 63ftlb, the M10 is 31 ft-lb, the Shift rod is 15ftlbs, the mount is 17ftlbs and the drive shaft bolts 31 ft-lb..

Good luck, its easy enough- Mike
Old 03-29-2010, 07:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)