View Single Post
Smart quod bastardus

Garage
I would rebuild the stock unit as it has alot of great features from the factory the simpler aftermarket ones don't.
I bought the replacement thermal unit that drops inside and reused the spring and piston since it was not broken. Mine exhibited the same symptoms as yours.
Works great now
The hardest part is loosening the caps to get at the internal guts and removing the housing assembly form the car without damaging the oil line fittings. Soaked it in rust penetrant for a few days beforehand.
Make sure to use lots of antirust paste on the threads when rebuilding/reinstalling.
Watch out as the caps are under alot of spring tension making it dangerous to remove them and difficult reassembling.
1979 930 Turbo....3.4L, 7.5to1 comp, SC cams, B&B intercooler, Snow Perf water/meth injection, Rarlyl8 headers, Garret GTX turbo, 36mm ported intakes, Innovate Auxbox/LM-1, custom Manually Adjustable wastegate housing (0.8-1.1bar),--running 0.7bar max
---"When you're racing it's life! Anything else either before or after, is just waiting"
Old 03-29-2010, 08:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)