View Single Post

Chris,

Thanks for the great info!

Volvo's Group B program had different metering cone's with different profiles on top of bigger injectors, 8 bar system pressure, and big fuel pumps.

If Lee Rice is right about the metering arm stalling, a new cone profile might get us more fuel up top. It could also cure the to fat on first boost issue if done right.

The key's to the 'Rice Fueler' was a lower control pressure on boost and conversion of the WUR to be [I]vacuum sensing[/U]. He told me the 75-77 3.0 turbos worked this way but the 3.3's where changed to trigger enrichment later and on boost and this was at the expense of throttle response in his opinion.

This seems to reduce the restriction on the intake side and let the turbo spin up faster.

When I built my own programmable WUR some 7-8 years ago (Andial Frequency valve w custom controller) I used this strategy and it did seem to get me faster throttle response and boost onset.

My next turbo will probably use a BL adjustable WUR converted to be vacuum-sensing, Larry's modified Lambda Fuel Distributor with the Lambda function removed as it has more fuel delivery potential (up to a plus 30% more fuel), and some re-profiling of the metering assembly.

That and a lot of attention to the ignition side (advance curve, modified stop on the boost retard pot, and possibly dumping the Vac-retard function).

I just love the idea of staying with mostly period components though a programmable MSD and a boost controller that can be programed by RPM is tempting.

Sorry, I got carried away again.

The best.
Old 03-29-2010, 06:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)