View Single Post
3 restos WIP = psycho

Quote:
Originally Posted by WERK I View Post
My $0.02
I think there's nothing more beautiful than an MFI setup. But........
If you're toying with water/meth injection, varying boost levels, different turbo combinations, go with the ITB EFI. You just can't beat the programmability of a computer controlled injection system. An RSR-style ITB EFI is a thing of beauty. Besides, the plenum and IC is going to block the view to the MFI pump anyway.
To be clear, my final fuelling and ignition solution is still up in the air. Once the longblock is built, I will make the final decision on where I go with it. That said, there are a few absolutes:
  • I will be using my custom bored MFI stacks and TBs for this motor
  • I will be using a custom water/air IC, designed and fabbed by me
  • I wil be using knock control
  • Water/meth injection will be used
  • Visual stealth (early MFI motor) is a primary design goal
I have already conceptually laid out the IC and it won't obstruct an MFI pump. The design also allows the use of the stock airbox, with proper modifications, to remain in place for the ultimate in stealth looks and would hide the water/meth injectors, placed above the intake trumpets on the stacks.

There are still design challenges to overcome and although I do like the benefits of sequential EFI control, I am somewhat hesitant to have a big, honking fuel rail and EFI injector adapters below the TBs. Stealth is the main reason why I am considering MEFI (from this day forward, this will be my acronym for MFI w/ electronic fuel trim adjustment).

One thing at a time, though. The longblock design is sound and the rest can come after that is done.

So, stay tuned - once this litte project is out of the garage (a few more weeks), the motor build will begin. I'll also update my overall project thread on the car, but the motor will be a new thread in the Engine forum.

I'll keep you posted.

- 1965 911
- 1969 911S
- 1980 911SC Targa
- 1979 930
Old 04-01-2010, 08:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)