View Single Post
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Quote:
Euro cars have a "more aggressive" timing curve - Wrong, the USA cars have more centrifugal advance, with about the same vacuum retard.
The curve has nothing to do with total timing. That is but one point on the curve.

Quote:
Euro cars had more timing because they had better fuel - Wrong in the late '70's US fuel was, on average, better than european fuel.
The octane rating in Europe at that time was greater than the 87 octane available in the US. Premium fuel was expensive and hard to come by. There is also the issue of US thermol reactors and the increased engine operating temperatures.

Quote:
If you want more performance, get a euro distirbutor and pull off all the hoses - Wrong, the USA distributor can run more static timing safely with the boost retard feature, and it has more centrifugal advance. Just disconnect the vacuum retard hose.
There is only one hose on the early Euro distributor, idle vac retard. My engine is a California model 1978. I didn't go to the trouble and expense to change out the distributor for no reason. The difference is noticeable stock to stock. When the distributor is modified the difference transforms the driveability. One of the services I would like to offer my clients is distributor tuning, there is a lot to be gained there.
Old 04-02-2010, 06:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #83 (permalink)