View Single Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by equality72521 View Post
So am I reading correctly that I should set to 26 BTDC and I can unplug the pot?
Mark,

I am not an expert on 930 ignitions but am learning all I can about them.

Have you done any tests yet.

What happens when you pull the vac line to the dist at idle? What happens when you set timing and then install or remove the vac line and recheck?

JMO:

From what I have learned so far, the single pots do not seem to have any boost retard.

US distributors do not run any more than about 16 to 20 deg advance on boost.

This puts you in a difficult position as to making a decission. To stay with this dist you will have to run more on boost advance than any US dist seems to.

And /or or you will have to run a lot less on cruse advance than the US dist.

Me, I would source a good two pot dist. Or, add MSD with vac retard function for on boost. MSD and 930's are a great combo anyway.

If I had to run a single I would keep the boost stock (.8 bar), run the best fuel possible and try running closer to -20 but no more than up to -25 timed at 4000rpm with the Vac Retard disconnected. Only if I had to.

This will not be great for idle or cruse. If you pull it back as much as I suspect you should I might leave the Vac-Retard hose off hoping to help idle quality some.

Having said all that. Many seem to just set them at -26 and running them.

From what I think I know, that might be a risky thing to do.

Again, sorry for getting carried away if it bothered you.
Old 04-02-2010, 01:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #93 (permalink)