View Single Post
Forced Induction Junkie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bxtech View Post
Wow! This is a fantastic thread on the slantnose! Lots of great info! Scans of the original brochures, documents and articles were very interesting to see! Thanks everyone for the input! There is a very high level of passion for these slantnose cars!

I am considering the purchase of a 1983 which the owner claims to be a factory slant. Before I make the drive to physically look at the car, I would like to find out what details I should be looking for to identify that this is in fact an original. I've always loved these slantnoses, but I really don't know much about the authenticity aspect or what to look for. I have a few questions for all of you if you don't mind.

1) From what I understand, there should be only one headlight motor which is centrally mounted right behind the front bumper in the trunk? From pictures, it looks like a fairly complicated linkage system going to each light. If the car has separate headlight motors.......fake?

That is correct. The headlight motor is cylindrical in shape with a rubber boot on top of it. Quite visible when you open up the front bonnet, right below the bonnet latch.

2) Are the actual headlights on these cars always round? If the car has square headlights......that would indicate a conversion/aftermarket parts?

Yes, always round.

3) From what I understand, there are unique serial numbers on the slantnose front end parts. True? Where exactly would I be able to see these numbers?

Not necessarily part numbers, but stampings Porsche uses as part of their manufacturing process. Unfortunately, they may not always be visible since they may be painted over.

4) I've also read that there are some custom moulded plastic parts that are in the front trunk. Would anybody have some pictures of these parts or description on what these look like?

They are, from what I've seen, fiberglass. See photo below.

5) From what I understand, the slantnose was basically an option on a "normal" 930. Would the VIN be able to identify an original slant, or will it only designate a regular 930?

Before Model Year 1987, there is no way to identify slants from VIN.

6) I've also read that there are some wooden slats or parts for the cooling vents in the rear quarter panels? What exactly should I be looking for here?

This is, I believe, somewhat of an urban myth. Wooden slats may have been on the early slants, '81 and '82, but all the ones I've seen are composite plastics.

7) What else should I be looking for on this car to verify? Any advice, tips, suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Check the contour of the rear brake ducts. The outer edge on the factory cars will always follow the contour of the wheel lip. In other words, the line of the brake duct is always parallel with the wheel well lip. See photo below.
The jacking point at the rocker panel will have an extension of the existing tube with an additional tube welded in at 45 degrees to the frame.
Then there's the famous windshield washer bottle that is tucked underneath the driver's side headlight, visible only by removing splash panel in wheelwell. See photo below.

With any luck, I hope to be a part of this passionate group of slantnose owners one day!

Thanks very much in advance!
Comments above in green.

Headlight arm mechanism. Cloth wrapped oil lines shown for Sonderwunsch engines (330BHP) front mounted oil cooler with special front valance.

Washer bottle.

Brake vent contour.

Werk I Zuffenhausen 3.3l/330BHP Engine with Sonderwunsch Cams, FabSpeed Headers, Kokeln IC, Twin Plugged Electromotive Crankfire, Tial Wastegate(0.8 Bar), K27 Hybrid Turbo, Ruf Twin-tip Muffler, Fikse FM-5's 8&10x17, 8:41 R&P
Old 04-03-2010, 08:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #282 (permalink)