View Single Post

Engine Miss, Loss of Power???

My 86 turbo which has run flawlessly for me for a year, started occasionally missing with loss of power.

The car has 125,000 miles and the engine appears to be stock, unknown history of engine work (I've owned it for 1 year) but the engine runs good, pulls hard (that's what she said) and never misbehaves until Sunday.

I took a short 1/2 mile trip from home; everything ok. Then 1/2 hour later, repeated the 1/2 mile trip back home, idled for a minute, then went to leave. As I got out of first gear and slightly let off the accelerator the engine sort of died. As I pressed the accelerator more, the engine coughed and popped still no power. I quickly turned the ignition off then on and power came back and engine ran fine.

2nd time this happened later the same day, again it seems as when I deaccelerated, it lost power, turn ignition off, then on and it ran fine.

Thursday I took the car to work 80 mile round trip and the car ran fine.

Yesterday it happened again seemingly when I deaccelerated and this time the turn off/on trick didn't work and the car totally died and I rolled it off the road. Started it up and it ran fine. Did this 2 more times, pulled over, started it back up, and ran fine.

I notice sometimes when I start it up, it doesn't idle at 1K like it has since I bought it, but idles roughly at about 700 RPM, then just like someone flipped a switch, the engine idle speed will jump to 1K and it idles smooth.

What does this sound like? It seems to happen when I let off the throttle when running. Wastegate sticking? Doesn't seem like fuel pressure since it happens or seems to happen when letting off the throttle.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Last edited by spoke; 04-04-2010 at 06:42 AM..
Old 04-04-2010, 06:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)