View Single Post
Verde

Garage
930 Newbie - a few questions

I'm a long time admirer of the 930 and finally an owner. Had mine delivered on Friday. White/black (the only color of car I buy) with relatively low miles. I must admit, the car exceeds my expectations. The build and component quality is far beyond the current cars.
For context, I have a 2005 997.1 Cab which I've modified (I have low- to medium-wrenching skills) that I bought when it was two years old, and a Ford GT also purchased when she was two years old (with only 200 miles on it).
So, the questions:
1. I thought I'd do an oil change. The oil is likely fresh, but I'd feel better starting the clock myself, and it forces me to explore some basic parts of the car. I've explored the site, and the manual (of course) and it's unclear what weight of synthetic would be best. I'm a hard core Mobil1 user, and it seems that 15W-50 is the preferred weight. I live in the CA Bay Area. Can someone confirm that I should go with that spec? Also, re oil filter, I typically use K&N. Any comments?
2. The standard steering wheel on the car is not to my liking (and has a small crack on it) so I purchased a 930S wheel (thicker is better). It's not clear how to get the old wheel off. I've read that pulling (and in other pubs, twisting) the center square section is the way to go. I don't want to overdue it but so far, no luck.
Thanks in advance,
V
P.S. Oh, and here is the perfunctory intro photos:
\
Old 04-04-2010, 09:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)