Thread: Innovate LM2?
View Single Post

Brian,

I, in no way, shape, or form, profess I understand the idiosyncrasies electrical / electronic grounding. I do know, as in most auto applications, the body of our cars is used by most all components as the ground for those components. The only exceptions too that might be the starter circuit, EFI systems, ECU's, and some Ignition systems. Most exceptions exist because of heavy current draw, as in the case of the starter, or isolation as in the case of DCU, and EFI's.

The reason I decided to run a separate ground for the LM-1 is that many of the devices providing input information to the LM-1 are low voltage with low current input signals and are noise sensitive. I felt that those were not conducive to exposure to constant and varying current draw and noise from all the other electrical components attached to a body ground system with 30 year old connections. Least of which is an engine ground supplied by a braided strap from the body to the transmission.

It took about 30 min. to run a #6 well insulated ground wire from the Battery negative terminal to the mounting plate under the pass seat and then to engine compartment. This creates a seperate common ground for the LM-1 and it's associated components. It very well may not make a damn bit of difference but it is easier when trouble shooting the LM-1 input issues and it makes me feel better.

Cole
Mods: TurboKraft Custom IC, 934 Headers, GSX 61, Zork, Port Work, SC Cams, Air Mod Fuel Dist Relocated, Water Meth Injection, BL WUR, MSD 6530, Greddy EBC, Synapse Bov, Short 2nd & 3rd with 8:37 R&P, Wevo Shifter, Coupling, and Mounts, MTX-L SSI-4, Big Brakes, Rebel Coilovers, Bilstein Sports.

Last edited by cole930; 04-05-2010 at 02:44 PM..
Old 04-05-2010, 02:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)