View Single Post
Driver

Garage
For more reading on motor oils, try searching "The Ultimate Oil Thread" over on the 911 Technical forum. More information than you'll know what to do with. ZDDP seems to be what's lacking from most modern motor oils. As a synopsis, regular Mobil 1 is not so highly recommended, though the 20w-50 V-twin stuff (at about $10/quart) seems to be OK. Brad Penn is a cheaper alternative. There are a couple others. I still have some old-formulation Rotella I'm using, but will probably switch to Brad Penn next time. The Valvoline racing oil is also OK, but supposedly doesn't have the longer-lasting detergents to neutralize the acid by-products of combustion and so should be changed more frequently.

Mahle oil filters. OC-54, I think. $9 from our host.

When changing the oil, first empty the crankcase. About 3 quarts will come out. Then drain the oil tank. A lot more will come out. If there's milky-mayonaissey stuff on the drain plug, it's condensation from not allowing the engine to reach full operating temperature--too many short trips. 15 mm socket. 42 ft-lb of torque.
Old 04-05-2010, 04:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)